1. مهمان گرامی، جهت ارسال پست، دانلود و سایر امکانات ویژه کاربران عضو، ثبت نام کنید.
    بستن اطلاعیه

مترادف ها (Synonyms ) در زبان انگليسي (‌اسم ، صفت ،‌قيد )

شروع موضوع توسط MiTra ‏5/1/11 در انجمن زبان خارجی

1. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    THESAURUS
    proud very pleased with what you, your family, or your country have achieved, or of something you own : I felt so proud when my son graduated from college. | Judith’s very proud of her new Ferrari.
    pleased with yourself feeling pleased because something good has happened, especially because you think you have been very clever, skilful etc : He was smoking a big cigar and was obviously pleased with himself. | I’d made a big profit and was feeling pretty pleased with myself.
    arrogant disapproving behaving in an unpleasant and annoying way, because you think you are better or know more than other people, and that your opinions are always right : He was arrogant and regarded people who disagreed with him as fools. | his arrogant attitude to women
    vain disapproving too proud of your appearance, in a way that annoys other people : He’s so vain – he thinks all the girls fancy him.
    conceited/big-headed disapproving proud of yourself because you think you are very intelligent, skilful, beautiful etc, especially without good reason and in a way that annoys people : Stewart’s the most arrogant conceited person I’ve ever known. | She was offered a brilliant job and became incredibly big-headed overnight.
    pompous disapproving thinking that you are much more important than you really are, and using very long and formal words to try to sound important : The clerk was a pompous little man with glasses. | a pompous speech
    smug disapproving pleased with yourself in a quiet but annoying way because you think you are in a better position than other people : Milly was looking very smug about coming top of the class. | a smug expression
    self-satisfied disapproving pleased with what you have achieved and showing it clearly in an annoying way : She glared angrily into his self-satisfied face. | a self-satisfied grin

2. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    THESAURUS
    selfish thinking only about what you need or want, and not thinking about how other people feel or what other people want – used especially when criticizing a person or their behaviour : Amy, don’t be selfish. Let the others have a turn. | 'I’m not doing this for selfish reasons,' he said. | It was a very selfish thing to do.
    egocentric ( also self-centred British English , self-centered American English ) believing that what you do and think is the most important thing, and not paying attention to what anyone else thinks or does – used when describing someone’s personality : Teenagers can be highly egocentric, and sometimes find it difficult to see another person’s point of view. | Children start off as self-centred little beings and they do not naturally think of the other person.
    egotistical believing that you are better or more important than other people : Like many famous writers I’ve met, he was arrogant and egotistical. | He’s just another young player who has gone out of control in the increasingly egotistical world of professional sports.
    self-serving only thinking of getting advantages for yourself : People’s fears are exaggerated by self-serving politicians. | They described the report as ‘self-serving and contradictory’.
    think of nobody but yourself ( also only think about yourself ) to only think of what you want to do, and not consider what other people want – often used when criticizing someone who does this : The trouble with Alan is that he thinks of nobody but himself. | Before I had children, I only thought about myself and what I wanted.
    it’s always me me me! informal used when criticizing someone for being selfish : It’s always me, me, me with you and I have had enough. I don’t need this – you’re welcome to yourself, my dear.

3. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    artificial
    THESAURUS
    artificial not real or natural, but made to look or work like something real or natural : artificial flowers | He was given an artificial heart.
    synthetic made using chemical processes rather than by natural processes : synthetic fabrics | a synthetic version of the drug
    man-made made by people – used especially about geographical features and materials : a man-made lake | man-made fibres
    fake made to look or seem like something else, especially in order to deceive people : a fake passport | fake fur
    imitation made to look like something, but not real – used especially about guns, jewellery, and leather : imitation firearms | imitation pearls
    false artificial – used especially about teeth, eyelash es , and beard s : a set of false teeth
    simulated not real, but made to look, sound, or feel real, especially by means of special computers or machines : a simulated space flight
    virtual made, done, seen etc on a computer, rather than in the real world : a virtual tour of the garden

4. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    bad
    THESAURUS

bad
    not good : a bad idea | His behaviour is getting worse.
    poor
    not as good as it could be or should be : A poor diet can lead to ill health. | his poor performance at school
    not very good
    not good – often used instead of saying directly that something was ‘bad’, especially when you were disappointed by it : The film wasn’t very good.
    disappointing
    not as good as you hoped or expected : Her exam results were disappointing. | a disappointing start to the campaign
    negative
    bad – used when talking about the bad result or effect of something : All the publicity had a negative impact on sales. | the negative effects of climate change
    undesirable
    formal bad and not wanted : The policy had some undesirable consequences. | drug abuse and other undesirable behaviour
    unfavourable
    formal unfavourable conditions are not good for doing something : The boat race was cancelled because of unfavourable weather.
    very bad

awful/terrible/dreadful
    especially British English very bad : The movie was awful. | Her house is in a terrible state. | a dreadful crime
    horrible
    very bad, especially in a way that shocks or upsets you : He describes prison as ‘a horrible place’. | It was a horrible exprerience.
    disgusting
    smelling or tasting very bad : The food was disgusting. | The fish smelled disgusting.
    lousy
    / ˈlaʊzi / informal very bad or disappointing : The weather has been lousy all week. | I’m fed up with this lousy job.
    ghastly
    / ˈɡɑːstli $ ˈɡæstli / British English informal very bad : I’ve had a ghastly day. | a ghastly mistake
    severe
    severe problems, injuries, illnesses etc are very bad and serious : The country faces severe economic problems. | severe delays | He suffered severe head injuries in a car crash.
    atrocious/appalling/horrendous
    extremely bad in a way that is shocking : Her behaviour has been absolutely atrocious. | The country has an appalling human rights record.
    abysmal
    / əˈbɪzm ə l / very bad and of a very low standard : The team’s performance was abysmal. | the abysmal conditions in some prisons

5. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    brave
    THESAURUS

brave showing that you are not afraid to do things that other people find dangerous or difficult : I think he was incredibly brave to do a parachute jump. | a brave attempt to change the system
    courageous / ˈreɪdʒəs / especially written very brave – used especially about someone fighting for what they believe in, or fighting against a disease : a courageous speech | her courageous fight against cancer
    daring brave and willing to take a lot of risks : a daring escape from a prison camp | a daring fighter pilot | a daring thing to do
    bold willing to make difficult decisions or say what you think, even though it may involve risks : It was a bold move to set up his own company. | She was very bold in criticizing the leadership.
    intrepid written willing to do dangerous things or go to dangerous places : an intrepid traveller | We sent our intrepid reporter to find out what is happening.
    adventurous used about someone who enjoys going to new places and doing new, possibly dangerous, things : More adventurous visitors can go skiing or snowboarding.
    fearless not afraid of anything or anyone : a fearless campaigner for human rights
    heroic very brave and admired by many people : heroic rescuers | Despite heroic efforts to save him, he died.
    plucky brave and determined – often used in newspapers : Plucky Megan, aged 10, has beaten cancer twice

6. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    cheap
    THESAURUS
    cheap costing very little money, or less than you expected : My shoes were really cheap – they only cost £25. | The cheapest way to get to Chicago is to take the bus. | cheap flights
    low low prices, rents, and fees do not cost a lot of money. Do not use cheap with these words : Why is the share price so low? | You could get equally good accommodation elsewhere at a lower rent.
    inexpensive especially written not expensive – use this especially about things that are of good quality, even though they do not cost a lot : The furniture is inexpensive, but well made. | a simple inexpensive meal | a hotel that offers air-conditioned rooms at relatively inexpensive prices
    reasonable a reasonable price seems fair because it is not too high : The restaurant serves good food at reasonable prices. | Only £25 a night? That sounds reasonable.
    economical cheap because you do not need to use a lot of money or fuel : an economical car | It is usually more economical to buy in large quantities.
    affordable cheap enough for most people to be able to buy or pay for : affordable housing | Single mothers often have trouble finding affordable childcare. | The shop sells designer fashions at affordable prices.
    competitive competitive prices and rates are as low as those charged by other shops or companies : I think you’ll find our prices are extremely competitive. | The hotel offers a high standard of service at very competitive rates.
    budget [ only before noun ] budget flights, airlines, hotels etc have specially low prices : You can get a budget flight to Amsterdam for only £19. | a list of budget hotels for under $50 a night | budget accommodation for families with young children
    be good/great value to be worth at least the price you pay for it, so that you feel pleased and think you have spent your money well : The meals at Charlie’s Pizza are really good value. | The holiday is great value for money.
    be a bargain informal to be extremely cheap : I got this shirt when I was in Indonesia. It was a real bargain.
    COLLOCATIONS CHECK
    low price/cost/rent/fee/charge
    reasonable price/cost
    economical car/way/method
    affordable accommodation/housing/price
    competitive price/rate
    budget flight/airline/hotel/accommodation

7. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    determined
    THESAURUS

determined if you are determined to do something, you have decided that you are definitely going to do it, and you will not let anything stop you. Determined is also used about someone’s character, when they usually behave in this way : I was determined to be a doctor. | She’s a very determined woman.
    stubborn determined not to change what you are doing, especially when other people think you are behaving in an unreasonable way. Stubborn is often used when you disapprove of someone. It is also sometimes used when you admire them : I wish you would stop being so stubborn! | Churchill’s stubborn refusal to surrender
    single-minded someone who is single-minded works very hard in order to achieve one particular thing, and thinks that everything else is much less important : During a war, a leader must be single-minded and, if necessary, ruthless. | her single-minded pursuit of power
    tough / tʌf / determined to succeed, even if a situation is difficult or frightening : In competitive sports, it is as important to be mentally tough as it is to be physically fit. | Gorelick is known as a tough manager.
    firm showing by your behaviour that you are determined not to change your mind, especially when you are telling someone what to do : What this country needs is firm leadership. | You have to be firm with young children.
    feisty determined and full of energy, and not afraid to say what you think and argue with people - used especially when you admire this person. Feisty is often used about women : In the film she plays a feisty young woman who is smarter than all the men put together. | a feisty kid with a mind of his own | the city’s feisty mayor
    headstrong determined to do what you want, without listening to other people’s advice or thinking about the results of your actions - used especially about young people : Her sister was headstrong and impulsive, and made a point of going out whenever and wherever she liked.
    resolute formal doing something in a very determined way because you have very strong beliefs, aims etc : the soldiers’ resolute defence of the town
    tenacious formal determined and refusing to give up : McTaggart was seen by many in the environment movement as a tenacious hero. | his tenacious grip on power
    dogged [ only before noun ] dogged behaviour shows that you are very determined and that you will not give up - used especially in the following phrases : dogged determination/persistence/resistance/refusal : The team played with dogged determination. | his dogged refusal to admit defeat | the dogged persistence of the defenders
    persistent continuing to do something, although this is difficult, or other people warn you not to do it : If you want to get a job, you have to be persistent. Don’t give up.
    strong-willed always very determined to do what you want to do, even if other people think it is not a good idea to do it : She has always been a strong-willed child.
    ruthless / ˈruːθləs / someone who is ruthless is so determined to get what they want, that they do not care if they harm other people : a ruthless dictator | He was ruthless in his ambition.
    mean business to be determined to do something and show other people that you are determined to do it, even if it involves harming someone : The one-day strike proved that the union meant business

8. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    dirty
    THESAURUS

dirty not clean : His clothes were untidy and he had dirty hands.
    filthy very dirty : Each year filthy water causes millions of cases of illness.
    muddy covered with mud : It had been raining hard and the path was muddy.
    dusty covered with dust : the dusty shelves in the attic
    greasy covered with oil or grease : Greasy food is bad for your health.
    grubby ( also mucky British English ) informal fairly dirty and needing to be cleaned or washed : He was wearing a grubby white T-shirt. | mucky fingers
    grimy covered with thick dirt or dirt that has been there a long time : I couldn’t see much out of the grimy windows of the train.
    dingy / ˈdɪndʒi / looking dark, dirty, and unpleasant. Used about rooms, houses, and buildings : We worked in a dingy little office behind the station.
    polluted used about land, water, or air that has been made dirty : 85% of city dwellers breathe heavily polluted air.
    contaminated made dirty by a dangerous substance or bacteria : The virus is mainly spread through contaminated food.
    squalid / ˈskwɒləd, ˈskwɒlɪd $ ˈskwɑː- / formal extremely dirty and unpleasant. Used about the place or conditions in which someone lives : People are living in squalid conditions, with little water and no sanitation.
    unhygienic / ʌnhaɪˈdʒiːnɪk◂ $ -ˈdʒe-, -ˈdʒiː- / formal used about dirty conditions that are likely to cause disease, especially conditions in kitchens, restaurants, and hospitals : The food was prepared under unhygienic conditions.
    unsanitary ( also insanitary British English ) formal used about dirty conditions that are likely to cause disease, especially because there is not a good system for getting rid of waste : People’s health is being threatened by overcrowded and insanitary homes. | They work for long hours in unsanitary conditions.
    soiled formal made dirty, especially by waste from your body : Soiled nappies should be changed as quickly as possible

9. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    dishonest
    THESAURUS
    dishonest behaving in a way that is intended to deceive people, for example by lying, cheating, or stealing : Are you accusing me of being dishonest? | The money was acquired through dishonest means. | People are no longer surprised to find that politicians are dishonest.
    corrupt using your power in a dishonest way for your own advantage – used about people in official positions : corrupt politicians | Law and order has broken down, and most government officials are corrupt.
    devious / ˈdiːviəs / good at secretly thinking of clever plans to trick people in order to get what you want : You have a very devious mind! | They use all kinds of devious methods to find out your personal details.
    underhand British English , underhanded American English underhand methods involve secretly deceiving people in order to get what you want : In a series of underhand moves, Browne managed to gain control of the company.
    sneaky doing or saying things secretly, in a way that seems wrong because it is slightly dishonest or unfair : It was pretty sneaky when the bank charged me interest on my account without telling me.
    sly deliberately behaving in a way that hides what you are really thinking or doing, in a way that is slightly dishonest : Lucy decided not to tell him where she was going. She was often a bit sly like that. | He’s a sly old fox.
    unscrupulous / ʌnˈskruːpjələs, ʌnˈskruːpjʊləs / using dishonest and unfair methods to get what you want, without caring if you harm other people : Some unscrupulous companies try to persuade people to borrow huge sums of money.
    fraudulent / ˈfrɔːdjələnt, ˈfrɔːdjʊlənt $ ˈfrɒːdʒə- / formal deliberately deceiving people in an illegal way in order to gain money or power : You will be prosecuted if you make a fraudulent claim on your insurance policy.
    seeming to be dishonest
    suspicious if someone or something seems suspicious, they make you think that something dishonest or illegal is happening : The police are treating the boy’s death as suspicious.
    dubious if something seems dubious, you think it may not be completely true, right, or honest : He has a rather dubious reputation. | It all sounds highly dubious to me. | the country’s dubious record on human rights
    shady shady business deals or people seem to be dishonest or connected with secret and illegal activities : Several senior members of the party had been involved in shady deals. | a shady character
    shifty someone who looks shifty looks as if they are doing or planning something dishonest : The man on the market stall looked a bit shifty when he gave me my change.
    dodgy British English informal probably dishonest and not to be trusted – used especially to say that you do not want to be involved with someone or something : There’s something a bit dodgy about him. | dodgy business deals

10. پیشکسوت انجمن کاربر ارزشمند❤

تاریخ عضویت:
    ‏11/11/10
    ارسال ها:
    تشکر شده:
    امتیاز دستاورد:
    effect
    THESAURUS

effect a change that is caused by an event, action etc : The people in this area are still suffering from the effects of the famine. | The treatment had little or no effect.
    impact an effect that happens as a result of something important, especially a big and permanent effect : Changes in technology have had a massive impact on the way we work. | the environmental impact of industrial activity
    influence the effect that something has on people’s opinions or behaviour, or on how something develops : American television has had a big influence on popular culture in the west. | His ideas had a lot of influence at the time.
    side effect an unwanted and unplanned effect that something has – used especially about drugs and medical treatment : Common side effects of the drug may include headaches and muscle pains.
    after-effects British English , aftereffects American English bad effects that continue for a long time after the thing that caused them : A traumatic experience can have severe psychological after-effects. | the after-effects of the war
    repercussions / ˌriːˈkʌʃ ə ns $ -pər-/ / the effects that happen later as a result of an event or decision, especially a range of effects that continue for a long time : The scandal could have serious repercussions for her career. | The judge’s decision is likely to have important repercussions for future cases of this kind.
    a knock-on effect British English used when something has an effect on something, which then has an effect on something else : Higher oil prices have a knock-on effect on other fuels.
    footprint the effect that human activities have on the environment, caused by using up its natural resources, pollution, waste etc : Businesses all over the world must attempt to reduce their environmental footprint. | The house has a low carbon footprint (= it uses very little energy from carbon and therefore is good for the environment